A wonderful, wide open park, minutes away from the centre of Slough
Black Park is popular with walkers and dog owners due to the wide open spaces and well-maintained routes. During summer 2010 a ‘Go-Ape’ activity centre was established in the park with the construction of climbing rigging and zip lines between the trees. The area is properly supervised by park staff during opening hours. The Go Ape team now offers cycle hire.
Runners are commonplace within the park and the increase in private persons using the park for exercise/training has led to the establishment of a Parkrun event on Saturday mornings. The professionally organised events are free to enter and form part of a network of nationwide parkruns.
Mountain biking is popular in the park as the combination of dense woodland, open plains, technical sections and narrow but quick draining trails make for exciting riding.
Park attractions include:
- Children’s woodland adventure play area – free with equipment suitable for toddlers and younger children.
- Cycling – with miles of tracks you can comfortably ride around Black Park. Bikes are available to hire at Go Ape. Black Park also forms part of the Beeches Cycleway; a 12-mile, signposted route joining Black Park, Stoke Common, Burnham Beeches and Dorney Lake.
- Dog walking – well behaved dogs and responsible dog owners are welcome.
- Duckpond Market – Last Sunday of every month, from 10am to 4pm in the Black Park car park. There are locally made arts and crafts, gifts, vintage items, homewares and clothing. Plus a tempting choice of locally made food, both ready to eat and to take home.
- Fishing – Black Park Lake is a beautiful lake with fantastic fishing opportunities. Fishing permits are required and rules apply.
- Go Ape – Experience swinging from the trees, Segways, Tree Top Junior and hire bikes to ride throughout the park. Visit the Go Ape website.
- Horse riding – bridle paths run through the park.
- Model boats – electric, sail and steam model boats are allowed to use the bottom area of the lake. No petrol boats or fast electric boats are permitted. Black Park Model Boat Club meet Thursday afternoons and Sunday mornings.
- Picnic areas – includes two dog free areas. No fires or BBQs allowed (but if you fancy BBQ…)
- Running – wide range of paths and tracks and are ideal for runners of all abilities. There is a 5km Park Run every Saturday at 9am.
- Walking – extensive forest paths and trails for walkers of all abilities with marked 1 mile trails. Join Simply Walk every Monday at 10am, meet in Black Park car park, to explore the park more, get fit and meet new friends.
For more information on Black Park, click here.